Practical Help

Practical Help For Victims Of Domestic Violence

Tell Someone

Having someone to talk to might seem trivial, when it comes to the first steps of getting help with domestic violence, but it is the first and most important step. Telling someone might help you realize that it’s time to make a change in your relationship, whether that means you need to leave, permanently or just long enough to give you time to think, and organize your situation. You can call a friend, or relative, or if you really don’t want to tell family or someone in your personal life. If you’d rather, you can call a help line, at one of the numbers below:

Emergency & Police

Because if you have been the victim of a crime, –and domestic violence is a crime, –if you need immediate assistance, then you need to call the police first. They can arrange medical aid for you and/or your children, as well as emergency transportation, and a safe place to go.


Freephone 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline Partnered With Women’s Aid and Refuge 0808 2000 247

Shelterline 0808 800 4444

Samaritans 08457 90 90 90

Broken Rainbow For lesbian, gay, transgender, or bisexual women and men seeking aid for domestic violence. Helpline: 08452 60 55 60 (Mon-Fri 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm )

Southall Black Sisters – For black and Asian women seeking aid for domestic violence. 020 8571 9595

Victim Support Line 0845 30 30 900

Rights of Women For legal advice for female victims of domestic violence. 020 7251 6577

Reunite (for parents of abducted children) If you fear your abusive spouse or partner may abduct your children, then call here for support. 0116 255 6234


Sometimes, the hardest part and the biggest question when it comes to leaving an abusive partner, or spouse, is just having someplace to go. You do have options. Many organisations have accommodations available for abused women. The police can arrange short term accommodation for you and your children, and other organisations can provide you and your family with a “refuge”. A refuge is a safe house, with a secret and non-public locations. You can also gain ownership of your own home, so that you have a place to go, or the local authorities can help you arrange permanent residence.

Financial Assistance

If you are low on income or have no money, you can get help with money. Check with your current legal advice, or with the organization helping you in your position, about what grants or loans to apply for, so that you can set up a new home in a safe place. The government may also approve some tax allowances while you are getting back on your feet. You may also be entitled to benefits if you leave your partner.